#7 Explore Flickr and Picnik




Photo sharing websites have been around since the 90s, but it took a small startup site called Flickr to catapult the idea of "sharing" into a full blown online community. Within the past couple of years, Flickr has become the fastest growing photo sharing site on the web and is known as one of the first websites to use keyword "tags" to create associations and connections between photos and users of the site.

One can also search all those pictures for pictures of a certain color, geo-tagged location, taken by a certain camera model, taken during a certain time period, creative commons or copyright status, and/or type of shot (macro, portrait, etc.). One of my favorites is the Flickr map search. I often use this to help patrons find pictures of places all over the world.

Sidenote: I was able to make the sign above with this online letter finding tool.

Picnik is an online image editing site that works well with image hosting sites like Flickr or uploading pictures straight from your computer. With Picnik you can adjust your colors contrast, sizes, and create new images using some of their different effects. You don't have to sign up if you don't want to and it's all free.

For this discovery exercise, you are asked to take a good look at Flickr and Picnik and discover what these sites have to offer. You will find out how tags work, what groups are, and all the neat things that people and other libraries (additional libraries listed here) are using Flickr for.

Discovery Resources:
Take a look at some of these resources to learn more about Flickr and Picnik

Discovery Exercises:

Find Stuff:
In this exercise you're going to see what Flickr has to offer and see what other people are doing with it.
  • Go to Flickr and search for things like "libraries" or some other interest you may have. If you find something really interesting, post a comment about it.

  • Go to Flickr/maps and search for your hometown or some place you would like to go. If you find something noteworthy, tell us about it in a comment.

  • If your branch has a digital camera or if you have access to a personal camera, locate the camera brand and model #. Then search for pictures posted taken with that camera model. You can search for macro, portrait, landscape, etc. If you find an amazing picture, post a comment on it.

Check out some of these library and librarian flickr accounts to see what fellow librarians are doing:

Do Stuff:
In this exercise you'll take a couple of pictures of things and people/events in your library and make a Flickr account to host them. For the more adventurous, you'll then edit these photos using free online editing at www.picnik.com.

  • Use a digital camera to take a picture of something (some object) in your library. It can be a picture of a piece of art, some furniture, a meeting room, etc.

  • Take a picture of staff or an event in the library you want to share. Remember, these pictures will be made public for the whole world!

  • Create a Free account in Flickr.

  • Upload your two pictures to your new Flickr account and tag at least one of the images "wcpll20" and mark it public. If you want, post a comment about your photo and experience.

  • Once people start uploading their pictures and tagging them with "wcpll20," you'll be able to see other people's photos by searching for "wcpll20" at Flickr.

  • A quick word about photo posting etiquette - When posting identifiable photos of other people (especially minors) is it advisable to get the person's permission before posting their photo in a publicly accessible place like Flickr. Never upload pictures that weren't taken by you (unless you have the photographer's consent) and always give credit when you include photos taken by someone else in your blog.

For the more adventurous:
  • Go to Picnik and upload one of your pictures.

  • Play around with the automatic contrast and colors.

  • Play around with the effects under the "Create" tab.

  • Save your new photo and post it to Flickr for all to see your graphic genius!

To get credit for this week: At a minimum, post a comment telling us about something interesting you found at Flickr. Hopefully many of you will have access to a digital camera and will be able to upload photos to Flickr and tell us all about them!

[Update 2/28: At least a couple of people uploaded and tagged their photos with wcpll20, but they don't up when you search for this tag. Jason contacted flickr and learned that you have to have at least 5 photos in your account for them to be available in searches. ]

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are a bunch of work-related photos from programs at ERL. I didn't describe them, but I did tag them. While I like tagging in general, sometimes I just feel too lazy to actually do it -- bad librarian, I know!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathpierce/

We post a general photo permission sign at our programs, so I think I am in the clear on that end.

I don't use Flickr much, mainly because my husband is the main camera operator, but I'd love to get more library stuff on there -- it would be so cool if we could link to our pictures from our branch or events pages!

Anonymous said...

O.K. so Flickr looks great. Next time I make either a slide or handouts for an upcoming program I will get some awesome stuff for the eye's view.

Anonymous said...

Hey I just posted a craft club photo & tagged it "wcpll20" I decided to leave out the patrons & just post a project. This is too neat!!!
Nicole @ ERL

Natalie said...

Way cool. My little hometown of East Smithfield, PA had one photo. I was surprised since we don't have even a traffic light there. PS It might be a good idea to email about the week's web 2.0. I looked for it last night. I thought about checking my feeds today. Natalie @ FUQ

Anonymous said...

On a personal level, flicker seems like a great way to store photos, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to have comments from strangers. Glad they offer a private option.
On a business level, I can see the desire for feedback and promotion.
I did two searches the first was Wake and Libraries. I thought the "Wake the Library" promotion at Wake Forest University was a cool concept. When I searched for Wake and County I was surprised by 2382 results and the variety of subjects.

Anonymous said...

I've played a bit with Flickr. I wasn't aware of Picnik. I look forward to paying a bit with it.

Clare@CAM

Anonymous said...

I've used Flickr for a few years, both personally and professionally. It's a great source for images for displays and signs, etc. I also post vacation & other photos there too. WRL even has it's own library account under "westregionalcary" - take a look!
~ Dan @ WRL

Unknown said...

I searched for the surname 'Chachula' since it isn't very common http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=chachula&w=all
There's a Robyn Chachula out there who's a good knitter, and a Matt Chachula who seems interested in European art.

Denise Chachula @ CAM

Anonymous said...

Flicker is great fun. You can look for the places you are going to visit to make plans. I also found a picture of my Great-Grandfather's old store in a tiny town in Missouri.

Pam at Duraleigh

Anonymous said...

I have some familiarity with Flickr because my techie husband set up an account a while ago. I didn't know you could search by location and was amazed at how much chicken fried bacon is consumed in Snook, Texas.

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of Picnik editing. It is so simple and user-friendly I feel like I'm at home using my MAC.
Megan -WRL

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how many topics are searchable! Since I don't have a digi camera I've not used flickr or picnik except for searching.
Bridget @ WRL

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how much you can do with your photo's in Flickr! I searched for Libraries and liked the photo of "Dusk at Bristol Central Library"
It would be more helpful if you can email us every week about 2.0 Tuesdays
Farida at HSP

MA@Eva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MA@Eva said...

I have just posted a picture to Flickr and Picnik from our black history month pictures.

Anonymous said...

There's four pictures on Flickr of my tiny hometown (Drayton, Ontario). Woot!

Sarah @ SER

Anonymous said...

I didn't have a chance to take pictures and honestly, I don't think our camera batteries are working! However, I searched flickr for pictures of my hometown of El Paso, TX. There are some beautiful pictures of sunsets!
Rita at CRY

katstev said...

I went to Flckr/maps and went to my hometown (Kinston). It was fun. There were pics to click on and it would show their location on the map. There was even a pic of a plate of Kings BBQ (YUM!!!!!)
Made me homesick!

Katherine
SGA

katstev said...

wooops! excuse the spelling
flickr/maps

Tess said...

I have lots of pictures on my computer at home that I don't think are backed up ... so now I can user Flikr to do that.

I didn't think I'd find anything from my little home town (Saugerties, NY) but there is even a flikr group from there !!

I also enjoyed looking at some pictuers of "hidden Mickeys"... if you don't know what that is .. just ask a Disney fan !!

Tess @ RBH

Anonymous said...

The pictures from WRL and the Pierce County Library were especially interesting. It was also nice to see pictures of the places we are planning to go for vacation. I added three photos with the wcpll20 tag, but they don't show up when you search for that tag yet. A link on Flickr said this could resolve itself in 24 to 48 hours. So maybe that means it takes awhile for them to update their indexes or something.

Anonymous said...

I love Picnik - it is like an easier version of Google's Picasam, which can be hard to use.

I use Flickr all of the time for photos, but so many are copyrighted now, that when you right-click on them, they either don't copy or copy so small you can't use them...

Heidi @ WRL

Ann said...

I used flickr maps and found the pictures to be very generic-interesting but generic. It told me very little about the area

Anonymous said...

application question- i assume that pictures that don't have a copyright name and do allow 'copy image' when one 'right clicks' on them can be used for signs, etc??

Anonymous said...

I've had a lot of fun exploring Flickr. I started by searching for pictures of Greece (a place I'd like to visit). Wow! Beautiful photos. I clicked on a user name and looked at all his photos--now I feel like I know this kid. I also went to the map and found pictures of my hometown that made me homesick. There's still so much more to see and try.

I also had fun with Picnik. I cropped a photo and got rid of the red eye. I don't enjoy taking pictures, but I do enjoy playing with pictures like this.

Sue Scott @ CAM

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that the tag thing only works if you have >5 pictures up and you are really lucky. A bit frustrating. If anyone would like to have a common place to find other wcpl photos, I've started a Flickr Group!

You can go to www.flickr.com/photos/wcpll20/ click on the profile and invite to be a friend. If you send me a friend ivite, I'll invite you to be in the group wcpll20. Then your pictures should start showing up.

Hope this works.